Give yourself one point for each statement you can answer "yes" to:
- I never share login credentials (e.g. username or password) with anyone including family, friends, loan applications, job opportunities, online friends, etc.
- I never share any one-time passcodes sent to me via email or text
- My password is at least 10 characters long, possibly a passphrase unique to each secure site (e.g. !Lov3Th3Be@ch)
- I verify email/text links or attachments before opening as I know they could contain malware
- I don’t accept checks from online friends or online job opportunities, especially if I’m asked to then send money to someone else
- I don’t purchase gift cards for anything but gifts, and especially not to pay or refund anyone
- I don’t respond to popups or calls about PC viruses, random refunds, lotteries, etc. especially if I’m told to visit a website and install anything on my device
- I don’t provide account or personal information to callers/texters, I limit personal information on social media, and don’t answer social media quizzes
- I think before responding out of fear to calls/texts about fraud as I know I’m covered by my financial institution for timely notification of unauthorized transactions
- I think sharing this with family and friends helps us all become cybersmart!
If you got 10 points, you’re doing all the right things to stay safe! Please help educate your family and friends.
If you scored less than 10 points, call us at 1-888-786-2791 if you have any questions about any of the above items. Education = Prevention!