STOP! Think First and Protect Yourself from Scammers.
Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts
St. Mary’s Bank is committed to helping our members prevent identify theft and fraud
. From supporting local workshops, seminars, and educational opportunities to providing easily accessible sources, we can prepare you with the knowledge and tools to defend from becoming a victim of fraud. We have compiled a short list of top 10 Do’s and Don’ts best practices, that when followed may help you protect yourself from scammers.
- Don't lie to your financial institution when asked about taking money out of your account. We’re here to protect you no matter what the fraudsters or your “friends” say!
- Don’t allow anyone to remotely access your device by entering keys/commands or go to a website and download software…even if they threaten you, say you’ll lose money or go to jail.
- Don’t respond to unverified text/email/calls or click links. Call St. Mary’s Bank directly at 1-888-786-2791 if you have concerns of unauthorized transactions or inquiries.
- Don’t accept funds from anyone with instructions to return/forward funds to someone else, to buy gift cards or bitcoin/crypto currency.
- Don’t share card PIN, online banking user ID/password, or any other access method with anyone including joint owners or anyone claiming to be St. Mary’s Bank.
- Do enable online banking text notifications for account logon and transaction amount alerts.
- Do use bookmarks or apps to access online banking as Google searches can present fraudulent look alike sites.
- Do question “family/friends” who contact you out of the blue to offer you money or ask for money thru mobile checks, pictures of checks, Cash App, Venmo, etc.
- Do use strong passwords/passphrases and enable multi-factor verification on all financial accounts and email access (i.e., a secondary code text to your phone).
- Do ensure you update all devices you use to access online banking (update operating systems, anti-virus, and browsers).
If you have any concerns about your security and privacy, please contact our Member Contact Center at 1-888-786-2791.