ID Theft Prevention and Response
If you feel your account and/or ID has been compromised, take the following steps.
Account/ID Compromise Next Steps
- Account number, card number, passwords compromised/disclosed
- Contact the companies where you have accounts that may be compromised, accounts where the fraudster may have logon credentials or private information including account numbers (banks, credit unions, credit card companies, utilities, etc.).
- Close/freeze accounts.
- Change passwords by using a secure device (secure PC, phone, tablet, etc.).
- Change PIN on cards.
- Social security number compromised/disclosed
- Add verbal password to your bank/credit union and credit card companies. Ask that they flag your account as high risk of identity theft.
- Place a credit freeze on your credit (this is the only law based way to prevent credit being issued in your name).
- Contact the following credit bureaus.
- If you don’t want a full freeze, use the same contacts above and at least place a fraud alert on your credit (for creditors to notify you of any attempts for 1 year).
- PC/laptop compromised (e.g., PC repair scam, fraudster remotely accessed device, malware concern)
- Unplug, disconnect from the internet (or turn off WiFi, put in airplane mode).
- Do not reconnect to Internet until cleaned.
- Take your device to a reputable company to “clean” your PC of any malware.
- If account information was stored unencrypted on the device OR you logged onto accounts while fraudster was remoted in, follow all steps above depending on what information was stored.
- Additional Steps
- If you have experienced a financial loss as a result of a compromise, or you feel you may be in danger (e.g., fraudsters are threatening you), contact your local police department.
- Add automated alerting using Card and Online Banking controls.
- Review your credit bureau reports at www.annualcreditreport.com or 877-322-8228 for any unauthorized credit or inquiries.
If you have any concerns about your security and privacy, please contact our Member Contact Center at 1-888-786-2791.